4:32 p.m. The Senate has adjourned until 9:30 a.m. Thursday, October 5th. Following leader remarks the Senate will resume consideration of the Quarles nomination.
At 10:00 a.m. there will be 3 roll call votes:
- Confirmation on the nomination of Randal Quarles to be a Member of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
- Motion to invoke cloture on Lee Francis Cissna, to be Director of US Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Confirmation on Lee Francis Cissna, to be Director of US Citizenship and Immigration Services
At 1:45 p.m. there will be a vote on the motion to invoke cloture on Callista L. Gingrich to be Ambassador to the Holy See
A vote has already been set-up for Monday, October 16th at 5:30 p.m.:
- Confirmation on the nomination of Callista L. Gingrich to be Ambassador to the Holy See
During wrap-up the following legislation was passed by unanimous consent:
- H.R. 1117 FEMA plans regarding assistance to applicants and grantees during the response to an emergency or disaster
- S.Res. 147 Commemorating the 25th Anniversary of the 1992 Los Angeles Civil Unrest
- S.Res.283 Designating the week beginning on October 15, 2017, as “National Character Counts Week”
- S.Res.284 Calling on Congress, schools, and State and local educational agencies to recognize the significant educational implications of dyslexia that must be addressed, and designating October 2017 as “National Dyslexia Awareness Month”
4:24 p.m. Cloture was invoked on the Quarles nomination, 62-33.
Senators voting in favor: 49 Republicans, 12 Democrats: Bennet, Carper, Coons, Donnelly, Heitkamp, Manchin, McCaskill, Nelson, Peters, Shaheen, Tester and Warner; 1 Independent: King.
Senators voting against: 32 Democrats, 1 Independent: Sanders.
Senators not voting: Cochran, Cortez Masto, Heller, McCain and Menendez.
3:55 p.m. Roll call vote began on cloture on the nomination of Randal Quarles to be a member of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve.
3:54 p.m. The Hargan nomination was confirmed 57-38.
Senators voting in favor: 49 Republicans, 7 Democrats (Carper, Coons, Donnelly, Durbin, Heitkamp, Manchin and McCaskill); 1 Independent: King.
Senators voting against: 37 Democrats, 1 Independent:Sanders.
Senators not voting: 3 Republicans: Cochran, Heller and McCain. 2 Democrats: Cortez Masto and Menendez.
3:15 p.m. Roll call vote began on confirmation of the Hargan nomination.
3:10 p.m. Senator Durbin spoke on behalf of dreamers.
2:46 p.m. Senator Merkley spoke on tax reform.
2:26 p.m. Senator Casey spoke about National Hispanic Heratage month.
1:47 p.m. Senators Blunt, Isakson, Barasso, Rounds, and Tillis spoke about tax reform.
1:26 p.m. Senator Brown spoke against the Quarles nomination.
12:52 p.m. Senator Wyden spoke about tax reform and opposed the Hargan nomination.
12:32 p.m. Senator Lankford spoke about our economy and tax reform and turkey.
12:24 p.m. Senator Casey spoke about a Philadelphia victim of the Las Vegas shooting.
12:01 p.m. Senator Hatch spoke about tax reform.
11:46 a.m. Senator King spoke about healthcare.
11:33 a.m. Senator Cornyn spoke about tax reform.
11:31 a.m. Cloture was invoked on the Hargan nomination by a vote of 57-38. Democratic Senators voting aye: Carper, Coons, Donnelly, Durbin, Heitkamp, King (Independent), Manchin and McCaskill. Not voting: Cochran, Cortez-Masto, Heller, McCain, and Menendez.
10:59 a.m. The cloture vote began on the Hargan nomination.
10:09 a.m. Senator Wyden spoke about the CHIP program passing out of committe and Administration statements on tax reform.
9:49 a.m. Senator Schumer spoke about financial aid needed for recovery in Florida, Texas, and the U.S. territories. Schumer spoke about the tragedy in Las Vegas and tax reform..
9:41 a.m. The Senate resumed consideration of the Hargan nomination to be Deputy Secretary of Health and Human Services.
9:33 a.m. Majority Leader McConnell spoke about tax reform and pending nominations. ML McConnell also paid tribute to retiring professor Tom Appleton of Eastern Kentucky University.
The Senate will convene at 9:30am. Following any Leader remarks, resume consideration of nomination of Eric Hargan to be Deputy Secretary of Health and Human Services.
At 11:00am, the Senate will proceed to a cloture vote the Hargan nomination.
At 3:15pm, the Senate will proceed to 2 roll call votes on the following:
- Confirmation of Hargan nomination.
- Cloture on nomination of Randal Quarles to be a Member of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System.