3:44 p.m. The Senate adjourned and will reconvene for a pro forma session at 9:30 a.m. on Friday, May 5. When the Senate adjourns on Friday, it will stand adjourned until 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 9. They will resume consideration of L. Felice Gorodo to be U.S. Alternate Executive Director of the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development with a cloture vote on the nomination to occur at 5:30 p.m.
Passed by Unanimous Consent:
- S. Res. 200-expressing support for the designation of the week of April 30-May 6 as Small Business Week.
- S. Res. 119-Recognizing the 202nd Anniversary of the Independence of Greece and Celebrating Democracy in Greece and the US
3:30 p.m. Senator Cardin spoke about Small Business Week.
3:06 p.m. Senator Cornyn spoke about electric vehicles.
2:47 p.m. Senator Fischer spoke about China and S. 1245 – The Defend our Networks Act.
2:41 p.m. Senator Murkowski paid tribute to the victims of the AAH064 Apache Helicopter Crash.
2:35 p.m. ML Schumer Started wrap up:
- ML Schumer filed cloture on the nomination of L. Felice Gorodo to be U.S. Alternate Executive Director of the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development
- ML Schumer filed cloture on the nomination of Glenna Laureen Wright-Gallo to be Assistant Secretary for Special Education and Rehabilitative Service at the Dept of Education.
- Foreign Service promotions confirmed by unanimous consent: all nominations on the Secretary’s Desk.
- Confirmed by voice vote: Damien M. Diggs to be US Attorney for the Eastern District of Texas for the term of 4 years
- Confirmed by voice vote: Amanda K. Brailsford to be US District Judge for the District of Idaho.
- Agreed to by Voice Vote En Bloc
- S. Res. 181 – A resolution supporting the designation of the week of April 24 through April 28, 2023, as “National Specialized Instructional Support Personnel Appreciation Week”.
- S. Res. 198
- S. Res. 199
2:23 p.m. Senator Shaheen spoke about the nomination of Geeta Rao Gupta.
2:21 p.m, By a vote of 50-44, the Senate invoked cloture on the nomination of Geeta Rao Gupta to be Ambassador at Large for Global Women’s Issues.
GOP voting Yes: Senators Collins & Murkowski
Senator Manchin voted NO
Senators not voting: Feinstein, Johnson, Moran, Sanders, Scott (SC), & Tuberville.
1:36 p.m. The Senate began voting on cloture on the Gupta nomination.
1:35 p.m. Senator Melendez spoke in favor of the Gupta nomination.
1:21 p.m. Senator Collins spoke about the 25th anniversary of the Good Friday agreement, noted a resolution will soon be passed commemorating the agreement and paid tribute to Senator Mitchell for his hard work bringing it to fruition.
1:13 p.m. The Senate invoked cloture on the Shogan nomination, 53-44. Republicans voting in favor: Capito, Collins and Murkowski.
Senators not voting: Feinstein, Johnson and Tuberville.
12:28 p.m. The Senate is now voting on the motion to invoke cloture on Colleen Shogan to be Archivist of the United States
12:27 p.m. By a vote of 56-41, the Senate confirmed LaShonda A. Hunt to be United States District Judge for the Northern District of Illinois.
GOP Voting YEA – Collins, Graham, Kennedy, McConnell, Murkowski, and Tillis
Not Voting – Feinstein, Johnson, and Tuberville
11:36 a.m. The Senate is now voting on confirmation of LaShonda Hunt to be a District Judge for Northern Illinois.
11:27 a.m. Senator Grassley spoke about oversight.
11:23 a.m. Senator Menendez spoke in support of S. 509 – Supporting Americans Wrongfully or Unlawfully Detained Abroad Act of 2023.
11:08 a.m. Senator Thune spoke about the debt limit.
10:56 a.m. Senator Durbin spoke about the FCC, the debt limit, NIH funding and the GOP budget.
10:39 a.m. Republican Leader McConnell spoke on permitting and infrastructure.
10:24 a.m. Majority Leader Schumer spoke on the debt limit, Senator Tuberville’s hold on military promotions, artificial intelligence, and nominations.
10:00 a.m. The Senate convened.
The Senate will convene at 10:00 a.m. and following any Leader remarks, will resume consideration of Executive Calendar #125 LaShonda Hunt to be a District Judge for northern Illinois.
At approximately 11:30 a.m. – 2 roll call votes:
1. Confirmation of the Hunt nomination.
2. Cloture on Executive Calendar #79 Colleen Shogan to be Archivist of the United States.
At approximately 1:45 p.m. 1 – roll call vote:
1. Cloture on Executive Calendar #66 Geeta Gupta to be Ambassador at Large for Global Women’s Issues.