7:01 p.m. The Senate adjourned and will next convene on Tuesday, July 13 at 10:00 a.m. Following leader remarks, the Senate will resume post-cloture consideration of Uzra Zeya to be an Under Secretary of State for Civilian Security, Democracy, and Human Rights.
2 votes at 11:30 a.m.
- Confirmation of Uzra Zeya to be Under Secretary of State for Civilian Security, Democracy, and Human Rights.
- Motion to invoke cloture on Julie Su to be Deputy Secretary of Labor.
After the vote on the Su nomination, the Senate will recess until 2:15 p.m. for weekly policy lunches.
Vote at 2:30 p.m.:
- Confirmation of Julie Su to be Deputy Secretary of Labor (if cloture is invoked earlier).
Began the Rule 14 process to place on the calendar en bloc:
- S. 2311- Supplemental appropriations.
- H.R. 3684 – INVEST in America Act.
7:00 p.m. Senator Moran spoke on Cuba.
6:44 p.m. Senator Gillibrand spoke on military justice and asked unanimous consent to take-up S.1520. Senator Reed objected.
6:30 p.m. Senator Rubio spoke on Cuba.
6:20 p.m. Senator Brown paid tribute to Elsie Steward Young and labor.
6:19 p.m. The Senate confirmed the Zeya nomination 71-23.
22 Republicans voting yes: Blunt, Burr, Capito, Collins, Cornyn, Crapo, Fischer, Graham, Grassley, Hyde-Smith, McConnell, Moran, Portman, Risch, Romney, Rounds, Sasse, Scott (SC), Thune, Toomey, Wicker, and Young.
6 Senators not voting: Booker, Braun, Cassidy, Inhofe, Murkowski, and Tillis.
5:41 p.m. The Senate began voting on the motion to invoke cloture on the
Uzra Zeya to be an Under Secretary of State for Civilian Security, Democracy, and Human Rights.
5:37 p.m. Senator Scott (FL) spoke on Cuba.
5:34 p.m. Senator Menendez spoke in support of the Zeya nomination.
5:27 p.m. Majority Leader Schumer filed cloture on the following:
- exec. cal. 121 – Jocelyn Samuels, MD, to be a Member of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
- exec. cal. 120 – Seema Nanda, VA, to be Solicitor for the Department of Labor.
- exec. cal. 171 – J. Nellie Liang, MD, to be Under Secretary of the Treasury.
- exec. cal. 154 – Donald Michael Remy, LA, to be Deputy Secretary of Veterans Affairs.
- exec. cal. 193 – Tiffany P. Cunningham, IL, to be U.S. Circuit Judge for the Federal Circuit.
5:27 p.m. S.Res. 238, recognizing and honoring the sacrifices and accomplishments of the Greatest Generation, was adopted by unanimous consent.
5:16 p.m. Senator Tuberville spoke on Independence Day and veterans.
5:02 p.m. Senator Leahy spoke on U.S. Capitol Police funding.
4:48 p.m. Senator Cornyn spoke on the Senate’s agenda.
4:28 p.m. Senator Blackburn spoke on Cuba, economy, infrastructure, and Afghanistan.
4:15 p.m. Senator Peters spoke in favor of the Easterly nomination then asked the nomination of , JEN EASTERLY, OF NEW YORK, TO BE DIRECTOR OF THE CYBERSECURITY AND INFRASTRUCTURE SECURITY AGENCY, DEPARTMENT OF HomeLAND SECURITY be confirmed by unanimous consent. The nomination was confirmed.
3:30 Senator Durbin spoke on COVID and vaccines.
3:15 p.m. Leader Schumer spoke on the stimulus that has kept Americans afloat during the past year and the upcoming business of the Senate.
The Senate will convene at 3:00 p.m. and following any Leader remarks, will resume consideration of Executive Calendar #67, Uzra Zeya to be an Under Secretary of State for Civilian Security, Democracy, and Human Rights.
At 5:30 p.m., the Senate will vote on cloture on the Zeya nomination.
Cloture has also been filed on the nomination of Julie Su to be Deputy Secretary of Labor.