6:32 p.m. The Senate adjourned until 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, July 14th. Following Leader remarks, the Senate will resume consideration of the Samuels nomination.
6:23 p.m. Senator Gillibrand spoke on sexual assault in the military. Senator Gillibrand asked u.c. to call up and pass, S.1520. Senator Reed objected.
6:16 p.m. Senator Whitehouse began wrap up:
- Passed by unanimous consent: S. 169, a bill to amend title 17, United States Code, to require the Register of Copyrights to waive fees for filing an application for registration of a copyright claim in certain circumstances, and for other purposes.
- Passed by unanimous consent: S. 534, Tribal Child Support Enforcement Act.
- Passed by unanimous consent: H.R. 26, to amend the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021, to correct a provision on the prohibition on the use of a reverse auction, and for other purposes.
5:48 p.m. Senator Whitehouse spoke about dark money and the Supreme Court.
5:47 p.m. By a vote of 50-48 the Senate agreed to the motion to discharge the Abruzzo nomination from the HELP committee.
5:01 p.m. The Senate is voting on the motion to discharge from the HELP committee, PN126 Jennifer Ann Abruzzo, to be General Counsel of the National Labor Relations Board for a term of four years.
4:46 p.m. Senator Grassley spoke about infrastructure.
4:22 p.m. Senator Barrasso spoke on border security.
4:17 p.m. Senator Romney paid tribute to Dean Cox.
3:53 p.m. Senator Portman spoke on Cuba.
3:39 p.m. Senator Leahy spoke on Cuba.
3:25 p.m. Senator Cassidy congratulated Zeila Avant-Guard for winning the National Spelling Bee. He also spoke on energy.
3:24 p.m. The Su nomination was confirmed, 50-47.
Senators Braun, Inhofe, and Young did not vote.
2:27 p.m. The Senate began a vote on confirmation of Julie Su to be Deputy Secretary of Labor.
2:23 p.m. Senator Murray spoke supporting the Su nomination.
2:17 p.m. Senator Hirono spoke supporting the Su nomination.
2:15 p.m. The Senate returned from recess.
12:51 p.m. The Senate stands in recess until 2:15 p.m.
12:50 p.m. Cloture was invoked on the Su nomination 50-47.
12:18 p.m. The Senate began a roll call vote on the motion to invoke cloture on the nomination of Julie Su to be Deputy Secretary of Labor.
12:17 p.m. The Zeya nomination was confirmed, 73-24.
23 Republicans voted yes: Blunt, Burr, Capito, Collins, Cornyn, Crapo, Fischer, Graham, Grassley, Hyde-Smith, McConnell, Moran, Murkowski, Portman, Risch, Romney, Rounds, Sasse, Scott (SC), Sullivan, Thune, Toomey, and Wicker.
Senators not voting: Braun, Inhofe, and Young.
11:30 a.m. The Senate began a roll call vote on confirmation of nomination of Uzra Zeya to be an Under Secretary of State (Civilian Security, Democracy, and Human Rights).
11:13 a.m. Senator Cornyn spoke spoke on immigration and on Texas election integrity legislation.
11:04 a.m. Senator Thune spoke on abortion.
10:40 a.m. Senator Durbin spoke on Central and South America, the pandemic, and U.S. Capitol Police funding.
10:27 a.m. Republican Leader McConnell spoke on Afghanistan and the economy.
10:15 a.m. Majority Leader Schumer spoke on voting rights.
10:14 a.m. Placed on the calendar en bloc re: Rule 14:
- S. 2311- Supplemental appropriations.
- H.R. 3684 – INVEST in America Act.
The Senate will convene at 10:00 a.m. and resume consideration of the nomination of Uzra Zeya to be an Under Secretary of State (Civilian Security, Democracy, and Human Rights).
At 11:30 a.m., the Senate will proceed to two roll call votes:
- Confirmation of the Zeya nomination.
- Cloture on the nomination of Julie Su to be Deputy Secretary of Labor.
Following the Su vote, the Senate will recess until 2:15 p.m. to allow for the weekly caucus luncheons.
At 2:30 p.m., the Senate will vote on confirmation of the Su nomination.
Additional roll call votes are possible during today’s session.
Cloture has also been filed on the following:
- exec. cal. 121 – Jocelyn Samuels to be a Member of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
- exec. cal. 120 – Seema Nanda to be Solicitor for the Department of Labor.
- exec. cal. 171 – Nellie Liang to be Under Secretary of the Treasury.
- exec. cal. 154 – Donald Remy to be Deputy Secretary of Veterans Affairs.
- exec. cal. 193 – Tiffany Cunningham to be U.S. Circuit Judge for the Federal Circuit.