7:21 p.m. The Senate stands adjourned until 12 noon, on Tuesday, August 2nd. Following Leader remarks, the Senate will proceed to Executive Session and resume consideration of Executive Calendar #1068, Elizabeth Wilson Hanes, to be United States District Judge for the Eastern District of Virginia, post-cloture. The Senate will recess from 12:30 p.m. until 2:15 p.m. to allow for the weekly caucus meetings.
At approximately 2:15 p.m., the Senate will vote on confirmation of the Hanes nomination. Additional roll call votes are possible during Tuesday’s session.
7:15 p.m. ML Schumer began wrap up and the following bills were passed:
- H.R.6943, Public Safety Officer Support Act
- Cal.#422, S.4003, Law Enforcement De-escalation Training Act, with Cornyn substitute amendment
- Cal.#421, S.3860, Invest to Protect Act, with Cortez Masto substitute amendment
- Cal.#419, S.2151, Strong Communities with committee-reported substitute amendment
- Cal.#423, S.4007, Fighting Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Act with committee-reported substitute amendment
- H.R.2992, TBI and PTSD Law Enforcement Training Act
- S.3905, Preventing Organizational Conflicts of Interest in Federal Acquisition Act, w/Peters substitute amendment
- Adopted S.Res.733, Child Awareness Month
7:09 p.m. By a vote of 56-33, the Senate invoked cloture on the nomination of Elizabeth Hanes to be United States District Judge for the Eastern District of Virginia.
Republicans voting in favor: Senators Capito, Collins, Graham, Grassley, Murkowski, Portman, Romney, Rounds and Tillis.
Not voting: Senators Blunt, Burr, Cornyn, Durbin, Hawley, Kennedy, Leahy, Merkley, Moran, Sasse and Shelby
5:34 p.m. The Senate began a roll call vote on the motion to invoke cloture on Executive Calendar #1068, Elizabeth Wilson Hanes to be United States District Judge for the Eastern District of Virginia.
5:22 p.m. Senator Coons spoke on the recent SCOTUS decision on abortion.
5:08 p.m. Senator Sullivan spoke about the Korean war, the noble war.
4:45 p.m. Senator Blackburn spoke on inflation and Democrats spending.
4:04 p.m. Senator Grassley spoke on the importance of Inspectors General.
3:55 p.m. ML Schumer spoke on the Hanes nomination, on passing the PACT Act, and on the Inflation Reduction Act.
3:07 p.m. RL McConnell spoke on severe flooding in Eastern Kentucky and on inflation and the economy.
3:00 p.m. The Senate convened.
The Senate will convene at 3:00 p.m. and following any Leader remarks, will begin consideration of Executive Calendar #1068, Elizabeth Hanes to be United States District Judge for the Eastern District of Virginia.
At approximately 5:30 p.m., the Senate will vote on cloture on the Hanes nomination