6:06 p.m. The Senate stands adjourned until 10:00 a.m. on Thursday, September 15th. Following Leaders’ remarks the Senate will resume consideration of the nomination of Sarah Merriam to be a Circuit Judge for the Second Circuit. At 11:30 a.m. the Senate will vote on confirmation of the Merriam nomination. At 1:45 p.m. the Senate will vote on confirmation of the nomination of David Pekoske to be Administrator of the Transportation Security Administration.
5:59 p.m. Senator Smith began wrap up:
- Confirmed by voice vote: Executive Calendar #1137 Travis LeBlanc to be a Member of the Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board for a term expiring January 29, 2028. (Reappointment)
- Confirmed by voice vote: Executive Calendar #1138 Richard E. DiZinno to be a Member of the Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board for the remainder of the term expiring January 29, 2023
- Confirmed by voice vote: Executive Calendar #1108 Shefali Razdan Duggal to be Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the United States of America to the Kingdom of the Netherlands
- Passed by voice vote: by S. 4057, federal electric vehicle with the committee reported substitute
- Passed by unanimous consent: S. 533, Guidance Clarity Act of 2021
- Passed by unanimous consent: S. 4235, A bill to amend the Controlled Substances Act to fix a technical error in the definitions
- Passed by unanimous consent: H.R. 7500, Fiscal Year 2022 Veterans Affairs Major Medical Facility Authorization Act
- Adopted by unanimous consent: S.Res. 764, Designating September 2022 National Spinal Cord Injury Awareness Month
5:37 p.m. Senator Sullivan spoke on military funding and the need to pass the NDAA.
5:19 p.m. Senators Shaheen and Hirono spoke supporting the nomination of Dr. Geeta Gupta to be Ambassador at Large for Global Women’s Issues. Senator Shaheen asked unanimous consent to call up and confirm the nomination of Dr. Gupta. Senator Haggerty objected.
4:38 p.m. Senators Burr and Wicker spoke on the possibility of a railroad strike. Senator Burr asked unanimous consent to call up and pass S.J.Res. 61, A joint resolution to provide for the resolution of issues in a railway labor-management dispute, and for other purposes. Senator Sanders objected.
4:34 p.m. Senators Sanders, Warren, and Scott (FL) spoke on wealth transfer.
3:57 p.m. Senators Scott (FL) and Braun spoke on the cancellation of student debt. Senator Scott asked unanimous consent to call up and pass S. 4483, Debt Cancellation Accountability Act of 2022. Senator Warren objected.
3:32 p.m. Senator Cornyn spoke on inflation and the possibility of a railroad strike.
2:59 p.m. Senators Murray, Blumenthal, Cortez Masto, Hirono, and Wyden spoke on abortion.
2:46 p.m. Senator Ernst spoke on nationwide essential job shortages.
2:00 p.m. Senator Cruz asked unanimous consent for the Senate to pass S. 4845. Senator Murphy objected. Senator Cruz then asked unanimous consent for the Senate to pass S. 4586. Senator Murphy objected.
1:50 p.m. Senators Cruz and Barrasso spoke on gun violence.
1:46 p.m. Senator Padilla spoke about the Estrada nomination for U.S. Attorney.
1:45 p.m. By a vote of 52-47, cloture on the Merriam nomination was invoked.
12:30 p.m. The Senate began voting on the motion to invoke cloture on the nomination of Sarah Merriam to be a Circuit Judge for the Second Circuit.
12:30 p.m. By a vote of 52-47 the Montecalvo nomination was confirmed. Republicans voting aye: Senators Collins, Graham and Murkowski. Not voting: Senator Stabenow.
11:30 a.m. The Senate began a vote on confirmation of the Montecalvo nomination.
11:03 a.m. Senator Thune spoke on inflation and the Farm Bill.
10:52 a.m. Senator Reed spoke in support of the Montecalvo nomination.
10:34 a.m. Republican Leader McConnell spoke on inflation, crime, and Ukraine.
10:14 a.m. Majority Leader Schumer spoke on abortion, the Inflation Reduction Act, and marriage equality.
10:00 a.m. The Senate has convened.
The Senate will convene at 10:00 a.m., and following any leader remarks will resume consideration of the nomination of Lara Montecalvo to be a Circuit Judge for the First Circuit.
At approximately 11:30 a.m., the Senate will proceed to two roll call votes:
1. Confirmation of the Montecalvo nomination.
2. Cloture on the nomination of Sarah Merriam to be a Circuit Judge for the Second Circuit.
An additional vote is possible during today’s session on confirmation of the nomination of David Pekoske to be Administrator of the Transportation Security Administration.