7:10 p.m. The Senate adjourned and will reconvene at noon on Thursday, January 21. They will be in a period of morning business. No votes are scheduled at this time.
7:05 p.m. The nomination of Avril Haines to be Director of National Intelligence was confirmed by a vote of 84-10. Voting no: Senators Blackburn, Braun, Cruz, Ernst, Hagerty, Hawley, Lee, Marshall, Paul and Risch. Not voting: Brown, Crapo, Scott of SC, Tillis, Toomey and Whitehouse.
6:23 p.m. Roll call vote began on the Haines nomination.
6:16 p.m. Senator Warner spoke in support of the Haines nomination.
6:01 p.m. Senator Wyden spoke about the Haines nomination to be DNI.
5:52 p.m. Senator Rubio spoke about the new Biden/Harris administration.
5:27 p.m. Senator Durbin spoke about the new Biden/Harris administration and Dreamers.
5:08 p.m. Senator Grassley congratulated Senator Leahy as President Pro Tempore. He then discussed todays inauguration and the one four years ago.
5:06 p.m. Republican Leader McConnell spoke on the new Biden/Harris administration.
4:58 p.m. Majority Leader Schumer spoke on the new Biden/Harris administration and welcoming Senators Ossoff, Padilla and Warnock.
4:52 p.m. S Res 6 electing Senator Leahy President Pro Tempore and S. Res 7 thanking Senator Grassley and designating him President Pro Tempore Emeritus were agreed to by unanimous consent. S Res 8 and 9 notifying the President and the House of S Res 6 were also agreed to by UC. S Res 10 and 11 electing the Secretaries of the Majority and Minority were passed by UC.
4:51 p.m. Majority Leader Schumer laid out the schedule, including the possibility of a vote this evening.
4:48 p.m. Vice President Harris swore in Senators Ossoff, Padilla and Warnock.
4:30 p.m. The Senate convened.
· The Senate will convene at 4:30 p.m. Following the prayer and pledge, Senator-designate Alex Padilla and Senators-elect Jon Ossoff and Raphael Warnock are expected to be sworn in as United States Senators.
· Following the swearing-in of the new Senators, the Senate is expected to proceed to and adopt resolutions relative to the following:
o Thanking and designating Senator Grassley as President pro tempore emeritus
o Electing Senator Leahy as President pro tempore
· If the above resolution is adopted, Senator Leahy will then be sworn in as President pro tempore.
· Following the expected swearing-in of the President pro tempore, the Senate is expected to proceed to and adopt resolutions relative to the following:
o Notifying the House and the President that Senator Leahy is President pro tempore
o Appointing the Secretary for the Majority
o Appointing the Secretary for the Minority
· Following leader remarks, the Senate will be in a period of morning business with Senators permitted to speak therein for up to 10 minutes each.