6:05 p.m. The Senate has adjourned until 10:00 a.m. Thursday, December 20th.
At a time to be determined on January 3rd, the Senate will proceed to the nomination of John C. Rood to be Under Secretary of Defense with 30 minutes of debate.
During wrap-up the following was confirmed by voice vote:
- Bruce D. Jette to be an Assistant Secretary of the Army
- James E. McPherson, to be General Counsel of the Department of the Army
- Randall G. Shriver to be an Assistnat Secretary of Defense
- Thomas Harker to be an Assistant Secretary of the Navy
- John P. Roth to be an Assistant Secretary of the Air Force
- Duane A. Kees to be United States Attorney for the Western District of Arkansas
- Stephen R. McAllister to be United States Attorney for the District of Kansas
- Ronald A. Parsons, Jr. to be United States Attorney for the District of South Dakota
- Ryan K. Patrick to be United States Attorney for the Southern District of Texas
- Michael B. Stuart to be United States Attorney for the Southern District of West Virginia
By unanimous consent:
- Confirmed executive calendar numbers 560 to 569 and all the nominations placed on the Secretary’s Desk
- 117, Alex Diekmann Peak Designation Act of 2017
- 501, East Rosebud Wild and Scenic Rivers Act
5:19 p.m. Senator Sanders spoke about the tax bill.
4:47 p.m. Senator Franken spoke on media consolidation.
4:30 p.m. Senator Warner spoke on the Mueller investigation.
4:12 p.m. Senator Cardin spoke about human rights, Sergei Magnitsky and the Magnitsky Act. He later talked about the situation in Venezuela.
4:00 p.m. Senator Whitehouse spoke on climate change.
3:45 p.m. Senator Gardner spoke about the recently passed tax plan.
3:20 p.m. Senator Isakson paid tribute to a friend who is retiring from his job as a lobbyist for the Southern Company.
3:08 p.m. Senator Gillibrand spoke about DACA.
2:46 p.m. Senator Stabenow spoke about veterans health care.
2:31 p.m. Senator Durbin spoke about DACA.
2:21 p.m. Senator Duckworth spoke about refugees.
1:30 p.m. Senator Franken spoke about his time in the Senate.
12:47 p.m. Senator Murkowski spoke about tax reform and energy development.
12:25 p.m. Senator Casey spoke about the Children’s Health Insurance Program.
11:54 a.m. Senator Klobuchar spoke about the tax bill.
11:30 a.m. Minority Leader Schumer spoke about the tax bill.
11:04 a.m. Majority Leader McConnell spoke about the tax bill. He spoke about the federal spending resolution. The Senate consented it the passage of S. Res. 150, on freedom of the press; S. Res. 326, recognizing the crew of the San Antonio Rose; and Se. Res. 345, designating Aug. 3, 2018 as Ernie Pyle Day.
* * * * *
The Senate will convene at 11 a.m. and will proceed to a period of morning business, with Senators permitted to speak therein for up to ten minutes each.