6:42 p.m. The Senate adjourns.
6:41 p.m. Senator Alexander adjourns the Senate. There will be a pro forma on Thursday September 20th at 3:00 p.m. Following the pro forma, adjourn until Monday September 24th at 3:00 p.m.; with two roll call votes at 5:30 p.m. that evening, see below.
6:17 p.m. Senators Hatch and Alexander spoke on and passed by unanimous consent the Music Modernization Act.
5:58 p.m. Majority Leader McConnell does some wraps up of Senate business
Confirmed by voice vote:
- John Whitley to be Assistant Secretary of the Army.
- Charles Verdon to be Deputy Administrator for defense programs at the National Nuclear Security Administration.
Agreed to by unanimous consent:
- S Con Res 47, making a correction in the enrollment of HR 6157.
- S 3479, Department of Veterans Affairs Expiring Authorities Act
- HR 698, the Elkhorn Ranch and White River National Forest Conveyance Act
- S Res 638, designating September 22, 2018 as “National Falls Prevention Awareness Day” to raise awareness and encourage the prevention of falls among older adults.
- S Res 639, designating the week of September 17, 2018, as “National Hispanic-Serving Institutions Week.
- S Res 640, recognizing September 25th as National Voter Registration Day.
Agreed to by voice vote:
- HR 46, directing the Department of the Interior to conduct a special resource study of Fort Ontario in Oswego, New York.
5:01 p.m.Senator Cornyn spoke on the Kavanugh nomination and the recently passed opioid bill.
4:45 p.m. Senator Donnelly spoke on suicide prevention.
4:30 p.m. Senator Ernst spoke about the continuing resolution.
4:24 p.m. Senator Barrasso spoke about water infrastructure.
3:47 p.m. Senator Sullivan spoke about Stanley Riley the Alaskan of the Week.
2:59 p.m. Senator Jones spoke about historical black colleges and universities.
2:46 p.m. Senator Whitehouse spoke about climate change.
2:34 p.m. Senator Thune spoke about nominations and the opioid crisis.
2:33 p.m. ML McConnell announced 5:30 p.m. votes for Monday, September 24th:
- Confirmation of Jackie Wolcott to be Representative of the USA to the International Atomic Energy Agency.
- Cloture on nomination of Peter Feldman to be a Commissioner of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (for term expiring).
1:07 p.m. The Senate is in recess until 2:15 p.m.
1:06 p.m. The Senate agreed to the conference report which accompanies H.R. 6157 by a vote of 93-7.
12:45 p.m. The Senate began voting on the conference report which accompanies H.R. 6157.
12:44 p.m. The Senate invoked cloture on the conference report which accompanies H.R. 6157 by a vote of 92-8.
12:03 p.m. The Senate began voting on cloture for the conference report which accompanies H.R. 6157.
11:55 a.m. Senator Leahy spoke on appropriations.
11:52 a.m. Senator Shelby spoke on appropriations.
11:45 a.m. Senator Lee spoke on abortions.
11:36 a.m. Senator Shaheen spoke on appropriations.
11:22 a.m. Senator Moran spoke on appropriations.
11:11 a.m. Senator Murray spoke about appropriations.
11:01 a.m. Senator Blunt spoke about appropriations.
10:48 a.m. Minority Leader Schumer spoke about the Kavanaugh nomination. He spoke about the president’s release of intelligence findings.
10:41 a.m. Senator Nelson spoke about the red tide in Florida.
10:13 a.m. Senator Durbin spoke about the 1991 hearing of Anita Hill’s allegations against the Supreme Court nominee, Clarence Thomas. He spoke about the Kavanaugh proceedings.
10:12 a.m. The Senate agreed to vote at noon on the cloture motion for the conference report on the minibus spending bill. Further, the Senate agreed that if cloture is invoked, post-cloture time will be considered expired and a vote on passage will follow.
10:03 a.m. Majority Leader McConnell spoke about the Kavanaugh nomination. He spoke about the passage of the opioid addiction bill. He spoke about the pending “minibus” defense spending measure.
The Senate will convene at 10 a.m. and will consider the invocation of cloture for the conference report to accompany H.R. 6157, the “minibus” 2019 appropriations bill for the Defense Department and other agencies.
Cloture was filed on the spending measure Monday evening.
The Senate will recess from 12:30 p.m. to 2:15 p.m. for weekly policy lunches.