6:35 p.m. The Senate stands in recess with pro forma sessions only, with no business expected to be conducted on the following dates and times:
- Friday, January 6th at 1:05 p.m.
- Tuesday, January 10th at 10:00 a.m.
- Friday, January 13th at 1:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, January 17th at 1:00 p.m.
- Friday, January 20th at 1:00 p.m.
Following the pro forma session on Friday, January 20th, the Senate will next return for business at 3:00 p.m. on Monday, January 23rd. Following Leader remarks, the Senate will proceed to Executive Session to consider the nomination of Brendan Owens (PN 1) to be an Assistant Secretary of Defense with a vote on confirmation of the Owens nomination at approximately 5:30 p.m.
5:26 p.m. Senator Kaine spoke about Senator Warnock and paid tribute to former Virginia First Lady Virginia Rogers Holton.
5:17 p.m. Senator Brown spoke about Senator Warnock and paid tribute to Ohio Representative Marcy Captor.
5:09 p.m. Senator Murkowski spoke on the 118th Congress and gave thanks to everyone who keeps the Senate running.
4:08 p.m. Senator Collins spoke about Senator Sasses retirement.
4:05 p.m. Senator Thune spoke about Senator Sasses retirement.
3:33 p.m. Senator Sasse gave his farewell address.
3:26 p.m. Republican Leader McConnell paid tribute to departing Senator Sasse.
2:35 p.m. Senator Cornyn spoke on the 118th Congress.
1:08 p.m. Republican Leader McConnell spoke on the 118th Congress and of statesmen who came before him.
12:56 p.m. Majority Leader Schumer spoke on Buffalo Bills’ player Damar Hamlin and then on the 118th Congress.
12:52 p.m. Senator Lankford was sworn-in.
12:42 p.m. A quorum being present, the Senate then adopted the following resolutions by unanimous consent and swore-in Senator Patty Murray as President Pro Tempore:
- S. Res. 1 Establishing a committee to inform the President of the United States that a quorum of each House is assembled.
- S. Res. 2 Informing the House of Representatives that a quorum of the Senate is assembled.
- S. Res. 3 To elect Patty Murray, a senator from the State of Washington, to be President Pro Tempore of the Senate of the United States.
- S. Res. 4 Notifying the President of the United States of the election of a President Pro Tempore.
- S. Res. 5 Notifying the House of Representatives of the election of a President Pro Tempore.
- S. Res. 6 Fixing the hour of daily meeting of the Senate.
- S. Res. 7 Fixing the hour of daily meeting of the Senate (ML Schumer objected to further proceedings regarding the resolution and the resolution will lie over 1 day for consideration).
- S. Res. 8 To make effective appointment of Senate legal Counsel.
- S. Res. 9 To make effective appointment of deputy Senate legal Counsel.
12:29 p.m. Live quorum called.
12:02 p.m. The Senate began the swearing-in of Senators elected and re-elected.
12:00 p.m. The Senate has convened the 118th Session.
The Senate will convene for a pro forma session at 11:30 a.m., after which the 117th Congress will adjourn Sine Die.
The 118th Congress will convene at 12:00 noon.