6:26 p.m. The Senate adjourned until 12:45 p.m. on Wednesday, February 28, 2018. Following leader remarks, the Senate will resume consideration of Executive Calendar #153, Russell Vought, of Virginia, to be Deputy Director of the Office of Management and Budget, post-cloture. All post-cloture time on the Vought nomination will expire at 4:30 pm and the Senate will have two votes on:
1) Confirmation of Executive Calendar #153, Russell Vought, of Virginia, to be Deputy Director of the Office of Management and Budget and 2) Motion to invoke cloture on Executive Calendar #437, A. Marvin Quattlebaum Jr., of South Carolina, to be United States District Judge for the District of South Carolina
6:24 p.m. The Majority Leader began the Rule 14 process to bypass committee and place on the Legislative Calendar of Business S.2464: Three-Year Border and DACA Extension Act.
- Adopted by U.C.: S.Res.415: Speech and Debate Month.
- Adopted by U.C.: S.Res.416: Career and Technical Education Month.
- Agreed to by U.C.: S.Con.Res.35: Authorizing Emancipation Hall for OSS Gold Medal.
6:11 p.m. Senator Warren spoke about the need for a director of the Indian Health Service.
5:34 p.m. Senator Whitehouse spoke about climate change and the American Petroleum Institute.
5:24 p.m. Senator Wyden spoke about the passing of constituent Ursula Le Guin.
5:08 p.m. Senator Collins and Senator Heinrich spoke supporting the terrorist firearms prevention act.
5:07 p.m. The Senate invoked cloture on the nomination of Russell Vought to be Deputy Director of OMB by a vote of 49-48.
4:30 p.m. The Senate confirmed Elizabeth L. Branch, of Georgia, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Eleventh Circuit by a vote of 73-23.
4:00 p.m. The Senate will proceed to 2 roll call votes on the following:
- Confirmation of Executive Calendar #623, Elizabeth L. Branch, of Georgia, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Eleventh Circuit.
- Motion to invoke cloture on Executive Calendar #153, Russell Vought, of Virginia, to be Deputy Director of the Office of Management and Budget.
3:35 p.m. Senator Markey spoke about gun legislation and the need for reform.
3:20 p.m. Senator Sanders spoke about gun legislation and the need for reform.
3:15 p.m. Senator Daines spoke in favor of both nominations.
2:40 p.m. Senator Thune spoke on tax penalties on foreign entities and the benefits from lowering rates.
2:19 p.m. Senator Portman paid tribute to Columbus Ohio police officers Morelli and Durly and also spoke about the opioid epidemic.
12:30 p.m. The Senate stands adjourned for the weekly caucus luncheons.
11:04 a.m. Senator Lee paid tribute to Frederick Douglass.
11:03 a.m. Senator Young achieved the following confirmation by voice vote: William Northey to be Under Secretary of Agriculture for farm and foreign agriculture services.
10:47 a.m. Majority Leader McConnell spoke on the Branch nomination.
10:22 a.m. Senators Durbin and Cornyn spoke on gun violence.
10:11 a.m. Democratic Leader Schumer spoke on gun violence and net neutrality and taxes.
10:00 a.m. The Senate convened.
The Senate will convene at 10:00 a.m. Following any Leader remarks, the Senate will resume consideration of the nomination of Elizabeth Branch to be United States Circuit Judge for the Eleventh Circuit, post-cloture.
The Senate will recess from 12:30 to 2:15 p.m. to allow for weekly conference meetings.