The Senate has adjourned until 3:00 p.m. Monday, May 22 and will resume consideration of the Brandstad nomination. A vote on the confirmation of the nomination of Terry Brandstad to be the Ambassador to China is expected at 5:30 p.m.
- S.Res. 172 – Designating May 2017 as Older Americans month, was passed by unanimous consent.
- S.Res. 173 – Designating the week of May 15 to May 21 as National Police Week, was passed by unanimous consent.
- All nominations on the Secretary’s Desk for Foreign Service were confirmed by unanimous consent.
During today’s session:
- Senator McConnell filed cloture on the nomination of John J. Sullivan to be Deputy Secretary of State.
- The motion to invoke cloture on the nomination of Terry Brandstad to be Ambassador to China was invoked by a vote of 86 to 12.
- The nomination of Rachel Brand to be Associate Attorney General was confirmed by a vote of 52 to 46.
2:21 p.m. Senator McConnell filed cloture on the nomination of John J. Sullivan to be Deputy Secretary of State.
2:02 p.m. Senator Casey spoke about the Russian questions involving the Trump Administration.
1:52 p.m. Senator Brown spoke about the service of law enforcement officers and the tragedy in Kirkersville, OH.
1:21 p.m. Senator Merkley spoke about the rule of law and President Trump sharing secrets with Russian.
1:07 p.m. Senator Heller spoke against bringing back Yucca Mountain as a nuclear waste dump.
12:57 p.m. Senator Collins spoke about gun and drug violence as well as highlighting it is National Police Week.
12:56 p.m. The Senate approved the following by voice vote: the nomination of Todd Haskell to be Ambassador to the Congo; and the nomination of Tulinabo Mushingi to be Ambassador to Senegal, and to serve concurrently as Ambassador to Guinea-Bissau.
12:55 p.m. Cloture was invoked on the Branstad nomination 86-12.
Senators voting in favor: 52 Republicans, 33 Democrats, 1 Independent: King.
Senators voting against: 11 Democrats: Baldwin, Blumenthal, Booker, Brown, Duckworth, Gillibrand, Harris, Peters, Schumer, Stabenow and Warren. 1 Independent: Sanders.
Senators not voting: 2 Democrats: Hirono and Kaine.
12:30 p.m. Senate began voting on cloture on the nomination of Terry Branstad to be Ambassador to China.
12:29 p.m. The Brand nomination was confirmed 52-46. 100% party line, with Senators Hirono and Kaine not voting.
12:02 p.m. The Senate is now voting on the confirmation of Rachel Brand to be Associate Attorney General. Following this vote the Senate will:
- Vote on the motion to invoke cloture on the nomination of Terry Branstad to be U.S. Ambassador to the People’s Republic of China.
- Approve via voice vote: the nomination of Todd Haskell to be Ambassador to the Congo.
- Approve via voice vote: the nomination of Tulinabo Mushingi to be Ambassador to Senegal, and to serve concurrently as Ambassador to Guinea-Bissau.
11:33 a.m. Senator Cornyn spoke on the appointment of Robert Mueller as special counsel to investigate Russian involvement in 2016 election.
11:16 a.m. Senator Lankford spoke about the Affordable Care Act.
11:04 a.m. Senator Thune spoke about internet policy and the F.C.C.
10:50 a.m. Senator Sullivan spoke about Michael Carlson, an addiction expert who is Alaskan of the Week.
10:42 a.m. Senator Wicker spoke about Internet policy and the F.C.C.
10:24 a.m. Senator Murphy spoke about the health care law.
10:23 a.m. The Senate resumed consideration of the Brand nomination.
10:14 a.m. Minority Leader Schumer spoke about the appointment of Robert Mueller as a special counsel to investigate Russian involvement in the 2016 election. He also spoke about the administration’s position on the prosecution of drug crimes.
10:02 a.m. Majority Leader McConnell secured consent for a confirmation vote, en bloc, on the nominations of Todd Philip Haskell of Florida to be ambassador to the Congo and Tunlinabo Salama Mushingi of Virginia to be ambassador to Senegal and to Guinean-Bissau. The vote will occur after the cloture vote on the Branstad nomination.
Senator McConnell also spoke about the Federal Communications Commission and about the Obama adminitration’s health care law.
The Senate will convene at 10:00 a.m. Following any leader remarks, the Senate will resume consideration of Rachel Brand to be Associate Attorney General.
At 12:00 p.m., the Senate will proceed to 2 roll call votes on the following:
- Confirmation of the nomination of Rachel Brand to be Associate Attorney General.
- Motion to invoke cloture on the nomination of Terry Branstad to be U.S. Ambassador to the People’s Republic of China.
Reminder: There is an all Senators briefing with Asst Attorney General Rosenstein at 2:30 p.m. in SVC-217.