3:49 p.m. The Senate adjourned and will reconvene at 3:00 p.m. on Monday, March 2. They will resume consideration of the motion to proceed to S. 2657, the Advanced Geothermal Innovation Leadership Act. A cloture vote on the motion will occur at 5:30 p.m.
Passed/Adopted during wrap up:
- H.R.4998: Secure and Trusted Communications Networks Act [5G].
- S.Res.315: Memorializing the discovery of the Clotilda.
- S.Res.480: raising awareness and encouraging the prevention of stalking by designating January 2020 as “National Stalking Awareness Month”.
- S.Res.508: commemorating the 150th anniversary of the historic seating of Hiram Rhodes Revels as the first African American United States Senator.
- S.Res.512: designating March 2, 2020, as “Read Across America Day”.
- S.Res.513: designating February 2020 as “American Heart Month” and February 7, 2020, as “National Wear Red Day”.
- S.Res.514: expressing the sense of the Senate that Donald Stratton be remembered for a lifetime of heroism and service to the United States.
- S.Res.515: designates February 2020 as “Career and Technical Education Month” to celebrate career and technical education across the United States.
- S.Res.516: celebrating Black History Month.
- S.Res.517: honoring the life and legacy of Judge Nathaniel R. Jones.
- S.Res.518: honoring the 100th anniversary of Disabled American Veterans.
- S.Res.519: honoring the life and achievements of Katherine Coleman Goble Johnson.
- S.Res.520: designating March 6, 2020, as “National Speech and Debate Education Day”.
- S.Res.521: designating the week of February 24 through February 28, 2020, as “Public Schools Week”.
- S.Res.522: electing Robert M. Duncan, of the District of Columbia, as Secretary for the Majority of the Senate.
- Completed the Rule 14 proceed to place on the Legislative Calendar of Business: S.3339, to restore military priorities, and for other purposes. (Durbin)
Confirmed during wrap up:
Executive Calendar #573 – The following to be Brigadier General
- Col. Joseph R. Harris, II
- Col. Gent Welsh, Jr.
Executive Calendar #574 – Brig. Gen. Billy M. Nabors to be Major General
Executive Calendar #575 – The following to be Brigadier General:
- Col. AnnMarie K. Anthony
- Col. Taft O. Aujero
- Col. Douglas B. Baker
- Col. Robert D. Bowie
- Col. Barbra S. Buls
- Col. Donald K. Carpenter
- Col. Konata A. Crumbly
- Col. Johan A. Deutscher
- Col. Patrick W. Donaldson
- Col. Bradford R. Everman
- Col. Virginia I. Gaglio
- Col. Caesar R. Garduno
- Col. Patrick M. Hanlon
- Col. Robert E. Hargens
- Col. Jeffrey L. Hedges
- Col. Samuel C. Keener
- Col. Robert I. Kinney
- Col. Jerry P. Reedy
- Col. Bryan E. Salmon
- Col. Tamala A. Saylor
- Col. James S. Shigekane
- Col. Kimbra L. Sterr
- Col. Michael A. Valle
- Col. Brian E. Vaughn
Executive Calendar #576 – The following to be Brigadier General:
- Col. Dann S. Carlson
- Col. Shawn M. Coco
- Col. Steven E. Coney
- Col. Patrick E. DeConcini
- Col. Paul E. Franz
- Col. John F. Hall
- Col. Kenneth M. Haltom
- Col. Chris J. Ioder
- Col. Robert A. King
- Col. Michael J. Lovell
- Col. Sue Ellen Schuerman
- Col. Christopher J. Sheppard
- Col. Charles A. Shurlow
- Col. Lisa K. Snyder
Executive Calendar #577 – The following to be Major General:
- Brig. Gen. Steven J. deMilliano
- Brig. Gen. David J. Meyer
- Brig. Gen. Russell L. Ponder
Executive Calendar #578 – Brig. Gen. Andrew J. MacDonald to be Major General
Executive Calendar #579 – The following to be Major General:
- Brig. Gen. Todd M. Audet
- Brig. Gen. Kimberly A. Baumann
- Brig. Gen. Floyd W. Dunstan
- Brig. Gen. Randal K. Efferson
- Brig. Gen. Laurie M. Farris
- Brig. Gen. James R. Kriesel
- Brig. Gen. William P. Robertson
- Brig. Gen. James R. Stevenson, Jr.
- Brig. Gen. Charles M. Walker
- Brig. Gen. David A. Weishaar
- Brig. Gen. Gregory T. White
Executive Calendar #580 – Brig. Gen. Christopher E. Finerty to be Major General
Executive Calendar #581 – Brig. Gen. Joseph B. Wilson to be Major General
Executive Calendar #582 – Col. Ronald F. Taylor to be Brigadier General
Executive Calendar #584 – Brig. Gen. Michael S. Martin to be Major General
Executive Calendar #585 – The following to be Brigadier General:
- Col. Douglas K. Clark
- Col. John F. Kelliher, III
2:58 p.m. Senator Brown spoke about health care.
2:47 p.m. Senator Wicker spoke about Senator Hiram Rhodes Revels. Senator Wicker asked u.c. to call up and pass S.Res. 508, Commemorating the 150th anniversary of the historic seating of Hiram Rhodes Revels as the first African American U.S. Senator. Passed by u.c.
2:22 p.m. Senator Lee spoke on abortion. Senator Lee asked u.c. to call up S. 3173, Abortion Is Not Health Care Act of 2020. Senator Wyden objected.
2:21 p.m. ML McConnell filed cloture on the motion to proceed to S.2657, to support innovation in advanced geothermal research and development.
2:20 p.m. The Greaves nomination was confirmed 85-3.
Senators voting against: Booker, Gillibrand and Harris.
Senators not voting: 7 Democrats: Cardin, Durbin, Heinrich, Klobuchar, Markey, Schatz and Warren; 4 Republicans: Alexander, Cruz, Moran and Perdue; 1 Independent: Sanders.
1:45 p.m. Roll call vote began on confirmation of the nomination of Travis Greaves to the United States Tax Court.
1:16 p.m. Senator Gardner paid tribute to Donald Stratton, Pearl Harbor survivor.
12:45 p.m. Senator Blackburn spoke about immigration.
12:12 p.m. Senator Blunt spoke about Black History Month.
12:00 p.m. Senator Inhofe spoke about abortion.
11:45 a.m. Senator Portman paid tribute to Laura Dove and also spoke about the economy.
11:21 a.m. Senator Sullivan spoke about the Alaskan of the Week.
11:00 a.m. Senator Barrasso spoke about healthcare.
9:52 a.m. Senator Thune paid tribute to Laura Dove.
10:05 a.m. Senator Grassley paid tribute to Laura Dove. He spoke about historic Iowa baseball teams in the minor leagues.
9:34 a.m. Majority Leader McConnell spoke about the corona virus. He said some disruption seems inevitable. He spoke about the president’s emergency request to fight the disease.
He paid tribute to Laura Dove, the departing secretary for the Senate majority.
9:32 a.m. Senator Grassley spoke about constituent meetings in Iowa.
The Senate will convene at 9:30 a.m. and resume consideration of the nomination Travis Greaves to be a Judge for the United States Tax Court.
There will be a confirmation vote on the Greaves nomination at 1:45 p.m.