5:03 p.m. The Senate adjourned.
5:02 p.m. ML McConnell announced the pro forma schedule for the recess:
- Monday April 15 at 3:00 p.m.
- Thursday April 18 at 11:45 a.m.
- Monday April 22 at 9:00 a.m.
- Thursday April 25 at 4:30 p.m.
The Senate will next convene for business on Monday, April 29 at 3:00 p.m. and resume consideration of the nomination of the nomination of William Cooper to be General Counsel of the Department of Energy; with a cloture vote on the nomination at 5:30 p.m.
4:54 p.m. ML McConnell wrapped up for the evening and week. The following were confirmed by voice vote:
- Drew Wrigley to be US Attorney for the District of North Dakota
- Wing Chau to be US Marshal for the District of Rhode Island
- Ramona Dohman to be US Marshal for the District of Minnesota
- Nick Proffitt to be US Marshal for the Eastern District of Virginia
- S. RES. 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, and 168
- H Res 23, regarding awareness about preventing child abductions
- Daniel Rosenblum to be Ambassador to Uzbekistan
- Donald Tapia to be Ambassador to Jamaica
- Robert Scott to be Ambassador to Malawi
Agreed to by UC:
- S Res 85, recognizing the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Easter Seals
- S Res 131, regarding national 9-1-1 education month.
- S Res 136, regarding national safe digging month
- S Con Res 14, regarding celebrating King Kamehameha
- H Con Res 31, regarding holocaust remembrance day
- HR 1222, regarding target practice and marksmanship training support
The following had their first reading:
HR 1644 (regarding net neutrality) and HR 1957 (Taxpayer First Act of 2019)
4:45 p.m. Senator Cramer spoke on the nomination of Drew Wrigley to be US Attorney for the District of North Dakota.
4:23 p.m. Senator Enzi introduced the “association health plan act of 2019.”
2:41 p.m. Senator Sulllivan spoke on the Bernhardt nomination and the Alaskan of the week.
2:30 p.m. ML McConnell filed cloture on the following nominations:
- William Cooper to be General Counsel of the Department of Energy.
- Clark Cooper to be Assistant Secretary of State for Political and Military Affairs
- Gordon Hartogensis to be director of the Pension Benefits Guarantee Corporation.
- Campbell Barker to be a district judge for the Eastern District of Texas.
- Andrew Brasher to be a district judge for the Middle District of Alabama.
- Rodolfo Ruiz to be a district judge for the Southern District of Florida.
- Raul Arias-Marxuach to be a district judge for the District of Puerto Rico.
- Joshua Wolson to be a district judge for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
2:29 p.m. The senate confirmed the nomination of David Bernhardt to be Secretary of Interior, 57-41.
Democrats in favor: Heinrich, Manchin and Sinema.
Independent in favor: King
Not voting : 2 Democrats: Booker and Harris, 1 Republican: Perdue.
1:52 p.m. The Senate began voting on the Bernhardt nomination.
1:45 p.m. Senator Menendez spoke against the Bernhardt nomination.
1:29 p.m. Senator Scott of FL spoke on Venezuela.
1:21 p.m. Senator Fischer spoke about ICBMs.
1:14 p.m. Senator Manchin spoke in support of the Bernhardt nomination.
1:10 p.m. Senator Durbin paid tribute to his staffer M.J. Kenney.
1:00 p.m. Senator Murkowski spoke in favor of the Bernhardt nomination.
12:30 p.m. Senator Markey spoke against the Bernhardt nomination.
12:15 p.m. Senator Cornyn spoke on border security.
12:11 p.m. Senator Peters spoke about the vehicle innovation act.
12:05 p.m. ML McConnell announced the Senate will vote on confirmation of the Bernhardt nomination at 1:45 pm.
11:54 a.m. Senator Blackburn spoke on Broadband.
11:34 a.m. Senator Klobuchar spoke on the Bernhardt nomination.
11:17 a.m. Senator Scott (SC) paid tribute to former Senator Hollings.
11:09 a.m. Senator Graham paid tribute to former Senator Hollings.
10:55 a.m. Senator Schumer spoke about AG Barr and the Bernhardt nomination.
10:36 a.m. Senator Gardner spoke supporting the Bernhardt nomination and in memory of Corporal Daniel Groves.
10:10 a.m. Senator Grassley spoke about flooding in the Midwest.
10:05 a.m. ML McConnell spoke on nominations.
10:03 a.m. Senator Grassley spoke on health care.
10:00 a.m. The Senate convened.
The Senate will convene at 10:00 am and resume consideration of the nomination of David Bernhardt to be Secretary of the Interior, post-cloture.
A roll call vote on confirmation of the Bernhardt nomination is expected during Thursday’s session.