6:29 p.m. The Senate adjourned and will convene on Tuesday, May 14 at 10:00 a.m. A roll call vote is expected at 10:45 a.m. on confirmation of Michael J. Truncale to be U.S. District Judge for the Eastern District of Texas.
- Res. 202, congratulating the students, parents, teachers, and leaders of charter schools across the United States for making ongoing contributions to education, and supporting the ideals and goals of the 20th annual National Charter Schools Week, to be held May 12 through May 18, 2019, was adopted by unanimous consent.
- Res. 203, Recognizing the 80th Anniversary of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association, was adopted by unanimous consent.
- S. 1436, to make technical corrections to the computation of average pay under Public Law 110-279, was adopted by unanimous consent.
6:08 p.m. Senator Casey spke about the Head Start and Early Head Start programs.
6:07 p.m. Cloture was invoked on the Truncale nomination, 49-43.
Senators voting in favor: 49 Republicans.
Senators voting against: 40 Democrats, 2 Independents: King and Sanders, 1 Republican: Romney.
Senators not voting: 5 Democrats: Booker, Brown, Gillibrand, Hirono and Warren. 3 Republicans: Burr, Scott of Florida and Toomey.
5:30 p.m. The cloture vote began on the Truncale nomination.
4:59 p.m. Senator Isakson paid tribute to Dean Lewis of Georgia, who turned an automobile junkyard into a tourist destination.
4:20 p.m. Minority Leader Schumer spoke about Russian meddling in American elections. He called for Senate action on measures that have passed the House, including some on health care and disaster relief.
3:47 p.m. Majority Leader McConnell filed cloture on the nomination of Jeffrey Rosen to be deputy attorney general. He spoke about nominations and disaster relief.
3:03 p.m. Senator Grassley spoke about the Veteran’s History Project at the Library of Congress project, foster care, and Police Week.
The Senate will convene at 3:00 p.m.
Following Leader remarks, the Senate will resume consideration of Executive Calendar #25, Michael Truncale to be United States District Judge for the Eastern District of Texas.
At 5:30 p.m., the Senate will vote on the motion to invoke cloture on the Truncale nomination. If cloture is invoked, there would be up to two hours of post debate time.
As a reminder, Majority Leader McConnell has also filed cloture on the following nominations:
1. Kenneth Lee to be United States Circuit Judge for the Ninth Circuit (up to 30 hours of post debate time)
2. Wendy Vitter to be United States District Judge for the Eastern District of Louisiana (2 hours)
3. Brian Bulatao to be an Under Secretary of State (2 hours)
On Monday we further expect Majority Leader McConnell to file cloture on Executive Calendar #230, Jeffrey Rosen, to be Deputy Attorney General. The vote on the motion to invoke cloture on the Rosen nomination will take place upon disposition of the Bulatao nomination.