7:35 p.m. The Senate adjourned until 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday, March 29th. Following Leader remarks, the Senate will resume consideration of Executive Calendar #725, Nani A. Coloretti, to be Deputy Director OMB.
7:32 p.m. ML Schumer made the motion to discharge from Banking Committee PN1679 Lisa DeNell Cook to be a Member of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System for the unexpired term of 14 years from February 1, 2010.
By voice vote, confirmed the following CFTC nominations:
- Exec. Cal. #816 – Christy Goldsmith Romero, of Virginia, to be a Commissioner of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission for the remainder of the term expiring April 13, 2024
- Exec. Cal. #817 – Kristin N. Johnson, of Michigan, to be a Commissioner of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission for a term expiring April 13, 2025
- Exec. Cal. #818 – Summer Kristine Mersinger, of South Dakota, to be a Commissioner of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission for the remainder of the term expiring April 13, 2023
- Exec. Cal. #819 – Caroline D. Pham, of New York, to be a Commissioner of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission for a term expiring April 13, 2027
7:27 p.m. ML Schumer filed cloture on:
- Executive Calendar #672 Judith DelZoppo Pryor to be First Vice President of the Export-Import Bank of the United States for a term expiring January 20, 2025.
- Executive Calendar #764 January Contreras to be Assistant Secretary for Family Support, Department of Health and Human Services.
- Executive Calendar #667 David Weil to be Administrator of the Wage and Hour Division, Department of Labor.
- Executive Calendar #718 Susan Tsui Grundmann to be a Member of the Federal Labor Relations Authority for a term of 5 years expiring July 1, 2025.
- Executive Calendar #717 Cathy Ann Harris to be a Member of the Merit Systems Protection Board for the term of 7 years expiring March 1, 2028.
- Executive Calendar #716 Cathy Ann Harris to be Chairman of the Merit Systems Protection Board.
7:25 p.m. ML Schumer spoke on discharging the petition of the nomination of Lisa Cook.
6:58 p.m. Senator Portman spoke on Ukraine.
6:51 p.m. By a vote of 68-28 the Senate passed H.R. 4521, America Competes Act, as amended.
Senator Sanders voted no.
Senators Blunt, Cotton, Graham and Kennedy did not vote.
6:20 p.m. The Senate is now voting on passage of H.R. 4521, America Competes Act, as amended.
6:18 p.m. By a vote of 68-28, the Senate invoked cloture on Schumer substitute amendment #5002 to H.R.4521, America Competes Act.
Senator Sanders voted no.
Senators Blunt, Cotton, Graham, and Kennedy did not vote.
5:31 p.m. The Senate is voting on the motion to invoke cloture on the Schumer substitute amendment #5002 to Cal. #282, H.R.4521, American Competes Act (USICA).
5:23 p.m. Senator Cantwell spoke in support of the COMPETES act.
4:50 p.m. Senator Grassley and Johnson spoke about government oversight.
4:37 p.m. Senator Blackburn spoke about the nomination of Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson.
4:32 p.m. Senator Young honored constituent Ray Lindsey.
4:21 p.m. Senator Tuberville spoke on immigration.
4:12 p.m. Majority Leader Schumer spoke on the President’s budget. ML Schumer completed the Rule XIV process placing the following bills on the calendar: H.R. 6968, an act to prohibit the importation of energy products of the Russian Federation and H.R. 7108, a act to suspend normal trade relation treatment for the Russian Federation and the Republic of Belarus.
3:43 p.m. Senator Durbin spoke on the Supreme Court nomination hearings and honoring Madeline Albright.
3:20 p.m. Republican Leader McConnell spoke on the President’s budget.
3:00 p.m. The Senate convened.
The Senate will convene at 3:00 p.m., and following any Leader remarks, will resume consideration of H.R.4521,, the “America COMPETES Act”.
At approximately 5:30 p.m., the Senate is expected to proceed to two roll call votes related to HR 4521:
- Cloture on the substitute amendment. (#5002)
- Passage of H.R.4521, subject to an affirmative 60-vote threshold.
Cloture has been filed on the following nominations:
- Nani Coloretti to be Deputy Director of the Office of Management and Budget.
- Eliot Kang to be an Assistant Secretary of State for International Security and Non-Proliferation.
The Senate completed the Rule 14 process to place the following bills directly on the Calendar:
- (H.R.4373) Appropriations for the Department of State and foreign operations for FY 2023.
- (H.R.7108) A bill to suspend normal trade relations treatment for the Russian Federation and the Republic of Belarus.
- (H.R.6968) A bill to prohibit the importation of energy products of the Russian Federation.