6:52 p.m. The Senate adjourned until 10 a.m. Tuesday, July 9.
6:50 p.m. The Senate consented to passage of S. Res. 208, designating July as National Grain and Flour Month.
6:29 p.m. Senator Whitehouse spoke about climate change.
6:14 p.m. Senators Schatz and Heinrich spoke on climate change.
6:13 p.m. ML McConnell achieved UC for 4 votes at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday:
- Confirmation vote on Bress nomination
- Cloture on Kent Wetherell to be a district judge for the Northern District of Florida
- Damon Leichty to be a district judge for the Northern District of Indiana
- Nicholas Ranjan to be a district judge for the Western District of Pennsylvania
Further, that if cloture is invoked, the confirmation votes occur at a time to be determined on Wednesday.
6:10 p.m. The Senate invoked cloture on the Bress nomination on a party line tally of 50-42.
Senators not voting: 4 Democrats: Gillibrand, Harris, Leahy and Warren; 3 Republicans: Cassidy, Rubio and Tillis; 1 Independent: Sanders.
5:30 p.m. The Senate is now voting on the motion to invoke cloture on the nomination of Daniel Bress to be U.S. Circuit Judge for the Ninth Circuit.
5:04 p.m. Senator Boozman spoke about veteran suicide.
4:50 p.m. Senator Jones paid tribute to former Senator Howell Heflin and Giles Perkins.
4:41 p.m. Senator Brown about the Youngstown Vindicator and P-FAS chemicals in drinking water.
4:25 p.m. Senator Schumer spoke about the US women’s soccer team, healthcare, immigration, climate change.
4:08 p.m. Majority Leader McConnell spoke about the 4th of July, the US women’s soccer team, and the Bress nomination.
3:02 p.m. Senator Grassley spoke about his meetings with Iowa constituents.
The Senate will convene at 3:00 p.m. Following Leader remarks, the Senate will resume consideration of Executive Calendar #343, Daniel Bress to be United States Circuit Judge for the Ninth Circuit.
At 5:30 p.m., the Senate will vote on the motion to invoke cloture on the Bress nomination.
Majority Leader McConnell has also filed cloture on the following nominations:
- Executive Calendar #47, Kent Wetherell to be United States District Judge for the Northern District of Florida
- Executive Calendar #51, Damon Leichty to be United States District Judge for the Northern District of Indiana
- Executive Calendar #52, Nicholas Ranjan to be United States District Judge for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- Executive Calendar #101, Robert King to be Assistant Secretary for Postsecondary Education, Department of Education
- Executive Calendar #13, Peter Wright to be Assistant Administrator, Office of Solid Waste, Environmental Protection Agency