4:33 p.m. The Senate adjourned until 3:00 p.m. on Monday, November 16th.
4:25 p.m. Senator Blunt wrapped up for the evening. S. Res 716, 717, 746, 764, 765, 766 and 767 were passed by voice vote en bloc. S. Res 768, 769, 770, 771, 772 and 773 were passed by voice vote en bloc.
2:51 p.m. Senator Kaine spoke on the Presidential election.
2:38 p.m. Senator Cornyn spoke on Covid-19 recovery, vaccines and China’s response; and later other priorities to finish before the end of the 116th Congress.
2:29 p.m. Majority Leader McConnell filed cloture on the following nominations:
- Kristi Johnson to be U.S. District Judge for the Southern District of Mississippi.
- Benjamin Beaton to be U.S. District Judge for the Western District of Kentucky.
- Judy Shelton to be a Member of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System.
- Toby Crouse to be U.S. District Judge for the District of Kansas.
- Stephen Vaden to be a Judge of the U.S. Court of International Trade.
- Kathryn Mizelle to be U.S. District Judge for the Middle District of Florida.
- Taylor McNeel to be U.S. District Judge for the Southern District of Mississippi.
2:28 p.m. The Cannon nomination was confirmed 56-21.
Senators voting in favor: 44 Republicans, 12 Democrats: Carper, Coons, Cortez Masto, Feinstein, Hassan, Jones, Kaine, Leahy, Manchin, Murphy, Rosen and Warner.
Senators voting against: 20 Democrats, 1 Independent: King.
Senators not voting: 9 Republicans: Alexander, Braun, Burr, Loeffler, Moran, Paul, Risch, Sullivan and Young; 13 Democrats: Blumenthal, Cantwell, Durbin, Harris, Heinrich, Menendez, Murray, Schatz, Shaheen, Sinema, Stabenow, Tester and Whitehouse; 1 Independent: Sanders.
1:40 p.m. Roll call vote began on confirmation of the Cannon nomination.
1:27 p.m. Senator Casey spoke supporting H.R. 1773, Rosie the Riveter Congressional Gold Medal Act of 2019. Senator Casey asked unanomous consent to call up and pass H.R. 1773. The bill was passed by u.c.
1:17 p.m. Senator Portman spoke about addressing the Coronavirus pandemic.
12:58 p.m. Senator Blackburn spoke about veterans.
12:41 p.m. Senator Blunt spoke about the Labor HHS appropriations bill.
12:40 p.m. The Senate invoked cloture on the nomination of
Aileen M. Cannon to be U.S. Judge for the Southern District of Florida by a tally of 57-21.
12:00 p.m. The Senate began a roll call vote on the motion to invoke cloture on the Cannon nomination.
11:54 a.m. Senator Thune sought consent for passage of H.R.8472. No objection was heard. The measure passed.
11:53 a.m. Senator Smith joined Senator Thune in support of corona virus relief for schools.
11:50 a.m. Senator Thune spoke about coronavirus relief legislation.
11:36 a.m. Senator Van Hollen spoke about veterans. He spoke about President Trump’s response to the election.
11:05 a.m. Majority Leader McConnell spoke about the Pfizer corona vaccine. He called for Americans to continue preventive efforts, including social distancing and the wearing of masks.
11:02 a.m. Senator Grassley spoke about the Czech and Slovak Republics.
The Senate will convene at 11 a.m. and will resume consideration of the nomination of Aileen Mercedes Cannon to the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
- At noon, the Senate will vote on the motion to invoke cloture on the Cannon nomination.
- At 1:45 p.m., if cloture has been invoked, the Senate vote on confirmation of the Cannon nomination.