4:01 p.m. The Senate adjourned until 3:00 p.m. on Monday, March 15, 2021. Following Leader remarks, the Senate will proceed to Executive Session and resume consideration of the nomination of Debra Anne Haaland, to be Secretary of the Interior, post-cloture. At 5:30 p.m., all post-cloture time will be considered expired, and the Senate will vote on confirmation of the Haaland nomination.
3:58 p.m. ML Schumer began wrap up:
- Adopted S.Res.96, designating March 8 through March 14, 2021, as “Women of the Aviation Workforce Week”, w/Rosen amendment
- Adopted S.Res.106, recognizing Girl Scouts of the United States of America on its 109th birthday and celebrating its legacy of fostering civic action and community service among girls and creating leaders in Gold Award Girl Scouts, including the 2020 National Gold Award Girl Scouts
- AdoptedS.Res.108, to make technical corrections to the amendments made be Senate Resolution 30 (117th Congress) to Senate Resolution 458 (98th Congress), and for other purposes.
3:23 p.m. Senator Lee spoke about his father.
3:08 p.m. Senator Rosen spoke supporting the Haaland nomination.
2:57 p.m. Senator Cornyn spoke on immigration.
2:35 p.m. Senator Portman spoke on immigration.
2:12 p.m. Senator Lankford reflected on the roughly one year anniversary of the pandemic and the relief package passed this week.
2:11 p.m. Cloture was invoked on the Haaland nomination 54-42. Republicans Collins, Graham, Murkowski and Sullivan joined all Democrats and Independents in favor. Senators Burr, Cassidy, Kennedy and Moran did not vote.
1:34 p.m. Roll call vote began on cloture on the Haaland nomination.
1:30 p.m. Senator Manchin spoke in favor of the Haaland nomination.
1:19 p.m Senator Barraasso spoke against the Haaland nomination.
1:08 p.m. Senator Heinrich spoke in favor of the Haaland nomination.
1:01 p.m. Senator Lummis spoke against the Haaland nomination.
12:50 p.m. Senator Wyden spoke in favor of the Haaland nomination.
12:46 p.m. Majority Leader Schumer filed cloture on the nominations of Isabella Guzman to be Administrator of the Small Business Administration; and Katherine Tai to be US Trade Representative.
12:45 p.m. The Becerra nomination was discharged on a tally of 51-48, with Senator Collins joining Democrats and Independents in favor and Senator Burr not voting.
12:03 p.m. Roll call vote began on discharging the Becerra nomination.
11:59 a.m. Senator Cantwell spoke in favor of the Beccera nomination.
11:46 a.m. Senator Daines spoke against the Haaland nomination.
11:39 a.m. Senator Blackburn spoke against the Becerra nomination.
11:31 a.m. Senator Cassidy spoke on the pandemic and schools.
11:23 a.m. Senator Thune spoke against the Becerra nomination.
11:11 a.m. Senator Wyden spoke in favor of the Becerra nomination.
11:00 a.m. Minority Leader McConnell spoke about the pandemic and the relief package. He spoke about the Becerra nomination. He paid tribute to the departing Mary Jones, assistant secretary of the Senate.
10:46 a.m. Majority Leader Schumer spoke about the Becerra discharge petition. He said Deb Haaland’s nomination to be secretary of the Interior will be confirmed Monday. He spoke about the Covid relief package.
The Senate will convene at 10:30 a.m. and will resume consideration of the motion to discharge the nomination of Xavier Becerra from the Committee on Finance.
- At noon, the Senate will proceed to a roll call vote on the motion to discharge the Becerra nomination. Simple majority required.
- At 1:30pm, the Senate will proceed to a roll call vote on the motion to invoke cloture on the nomination of Debra Haaland to the secretary of the Interior Department.