7:13 p.m. Senate adjourns until 10:00am Tuesday morning.
7:09 p.m. Majority Leader does wrap up. UC that Senate debate the nomination of Robert McDonald to be Secretary of Veterans Affairs from 12-12:30, and from 2:15 to 2:45 pm, with a vote on confirmation at 2:45pm. Followed by a likely voice vote on the nomination of Joan Polaschik to be Ambassador to Algeria. Passes by UC: S Res 525, Whistle Blower Appreciation Day. S. 2673 (a bill to enhance strategic partnership with Israel) and HR 3339 (tax benefits for educational expenses) have their first reading. UC that Senate adjourn until 10:00am, Tuesday July 29th. Morning business until 12:00noon. Following executive session, and votes, turn to highway bill with votes on amendments and passage expected Tuesday evening.
6:35 p.m. Senators Whitehouse, Boxer and Klobuchar spoke in favor of the resolution.
6:16 p.m. Senator Klobuchar spoke on a resolution that climate change is real; offers UC to pass this Sense of the Senate resolution, Senator Inhofe objected and spoke against the resolution.
6:12 p.m. ML Reid “fills the tree” with respect to S.2569, the “Bring Jobs Home Act”; and files cloture on the motion to proceed to S. 2648, the emergency supplemental.
6:11 p.m Senate confirms following nominations by voice vote:
Joseph Mohorovic to be a Commissioner of the Consumer Product Safety Commission
Elliot F. Kaye to be a Commissioner and Chairman of the Consumer Product Safety Commission
Brian P. McKeon to be a Principal Deputy Under Secretary of Defense
6:09 p.m. Harris nomination confirmed 50-43.
5:30 p.m. Roll call vote began on confirmation of the nomination of Pamela Harris to be a US Circuit Court Judge for the 4th Circuit.
5:13 p.m. Senator Cardin spoke on the Harris nomination.
4:59 p.m. Senator Wyden spoke on the highway bill and the nature of the Senate.
4:32 p.m. Senator Hatch spoke on the nature of the Senate.
4:13 p.m. Senator spoke on the Harris nomination.
4:02 p.m. Senator Coons spoke about manufacturing jobs.
3:33 p.m. Senator Whitehouse spoke about the need to pass a long-term highway bill.
2:49 p.m. Senator Sessions spoke about illegal immigration.
2:29 p.m. Senator Nelson spoke about a China trade case.
2:03 p.m. Majority Leader Reid spoke about the schedule; the situation in Gaza; forest fires in Western states; and the border crisis.
* * *
- The Senate will convene at 2:00pm and proceed to Executive Session to resume consideration of the nomination of Pamela Harris to be a United States Circuit Judge for the Fourth Circuit, post-cloture. At 5:30pm, all post-cloture time on the Harris nomination will be deemed expired and the Senate will proceed to a roll call vote on confirmation of her nomination.
- Following disposition of the Harris nomination, the Senate will proceed to voice votes in relation to the following nominations:
- Joseph P. Mohorovic to be a Commissioner of the Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Elliot F. Kaye to be a Commissioner of the Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Elliot F. Kaye to be Chairman of the Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Brian P. McKeon to be a Principal Deputy Under Secretary of Defense