4:57 p.m. The Senate adjourned and will reconvene at 3:00 p.m. on Monday, June 24. They will resume consideration of the Motion to Proceed to S. 1790-NDAA. A vote on the motion to proceed will occur at 5:30 p.m. Passed during wrap up:
- Res.257: designating June 20, 2019, as “American Eagle Day” and celebrating the recovery and restoration of the bald eagle, the national symbol of the United States.
- Res.258: expressing support for the designation of May 2019 as “National Brain Tumor Awareness Month”.
- Res.242: designating June 15, 2019, as “World Elder Abuse Day”.
- R.559: Northern Mariana Islands Long-Term Legal Residents Relief Act.
4:30 p.m. Senator Hassan spoke about gun safety legislation.
4:21 p.m. Senator Collins spoke about Defense Authorization.
4:08 p.m. Senator Udall spoke about AUMF for Iran.
3:55 p.m. Senator Kaine spoke about events in the Middle East and AUMF for Iran.
3:42 p.m. Senator Merkley spoke about the Defense Authorization Act.
3:25 p.m. Senator Carper spoke about climate change.
3:13 p.m. Senator Merkley spoke about air quality.
2:58 p.m. Senator Sasse spoke about Planned Parenthood.
2:50 p.m. Senator Blackburn spoke on the VA Mission Act.
2:43 p.m. Senator Cardin spoke about the clean power plan rule.
2:30 p.m. Senator Portman spoke about the opioid epidemic.
2:29 p.m. Majority Leader McConnell received unanimous consent to vote on the motion to proceed to S. 1790 at 5:30 p.m. on Monday, June 24.
2:27 p.m. The Senate confirmed the following nominations en block by voice vote:
- exec. cal. 88 – Seth Daniel Appleton, MO, to be an Assistant Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
- exec. cal. 90 – Dino Falaschetti, MT, to be Director, Office of Financial Research, Department of the Treasury.
- exec. cal. 92 – Robert Hunter Kurtz, VA, to be an Assistant Secretary of Housing and Urban Development.
- exec. cal. 93 – Bimal Patel, GA, to be an Assistant Secretary of the Treasury.
- exec. cal. 334 – Allison Herren Lee, CO ,to be a Member of the Securities and Exchange Commission
- exec. cal. 195 – Keith Krach, CA, to be an Under Secretary of State (Economic Growth, Energy, and the Environment).
- exec. cal. 196 – Keith Krach, CA, to be United States Alternate Governor of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development.
- exec. cal. 197 – Keith Krach, CA, to be United States Alternate Governor of the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development for a term of 5 years.
- exec. cal. 287 – Jeffrey L. Eberhardt, of WI, a Career Member of the Senior Executive Service, to be Special Representative of the President for Nuclear Nonproliferation, rank of Ambassador.
2:27 p.m. The Senate confirmed the Baranwal nomination by a vote of 86 to 5. Senators Cortez Masto, Markey, Rosen, Schatz and Warren voted NO. Senators Booker, Cassidy, Gillibrand, Harris Klobuchar, Moran, Rounds, Sanders, and Toomey did not vote.
1:45 p.m. Roll call vote began on confirmation of Rita Baranwal to be Assistant Secretary of Energy for nuclear energy.
1:41 p.m. Senator Whitehouse spoke on climate change.
1:35 p.m. Senator Brown spoke on the 50th anniversary of the Cuyahoga river catching on fire and environmental awareness since.
1:22 p.m. Senator Perdue paid tribute to Billy Payne and then spoke on border security.
1:03 p.m. Senator Carper spoke on the 75th anniversary of the GI Bill.
12:54 p.m Senator Cornyn spoke on border security.
12:53 p.m. SJ Resolutions 27-35, 37 and 39-48 were passed en bloc, 51-45. GOP in favor: Collins, Graham, Moran, Paul & Young. Senators not voting Blackburn, Gillibrand, Lee and Rounds.
12:28 p.m Roll call vote began on passage en bloc of SJ Resolutions 27-35, 37 and 39-48.
12:27 p.m. SJ Res 38 was agreed to 53-45. GOP in favor: Collins, Graham, Lee, Moran, Murkowski, Paul & Young. Senators Gillibrand and Rounds did not vote.
12:08 p.m Roll call vote began on passage of SJ Res 38.
12:08 p.m. SJ Res 36 was agreed to 53-45. GOP in favor: Collins, Graham, Lee, Moran, Murkowski, Paul & Young. Senators Gillibrand and Rounds did not vote.
11:38 a.m. The Senate is now voting on passage of SJ Res 36.
11:29 a.m. Senator Risch spoke about arms sales to Saudi Arabia and the UAE.
11:22 a.m. Senator Menendez spoke about arms sales to Saudi Arabia and the UAE.
11:15 a.m. Senator Graham spoke about arms sales to Saudi Arabia and the UAE.
10:53 a.m. Senator Paul spoke about arms sales to Saudi Arabia and the UAE.
10:40 a.m. Senator Cotton spoke about arms sales to Saudi Arabia and the UAE.
10:19 Senator Thune spoke on the defense authorization.
10:03 a.m. Democratic Leader Schumer spoke on Iran, the pending joint resolutions, the debate on putting Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill, gun violence, and election security.
9:38 a.m. Majority Leader McConnell spoke on the defense authorization, the situation in Iran, the pending joint resolutions, the nomination of Kelly Craft to be Ambassador to the United Nations, and border security.
9:32 a.m. Senator Grassley spoke on an Iowa promotion program.
9:30 a.m. The Senate convened.
The Senate will convene at 9:30 a.m.
At that time, resume consideration en bloc of Senate joint resolutions of disapproval 27-48, all dealing with arm sales.
At 11:30 a.m. there will be three roll call votes:
At 1:45 p.m. there will be one roll call vote:
- Confirmation of Rita Baranwal to be Assistant Secretary of Energy for nuclear energy.
Note: At 10:30 a.m., Senators Van Hollen and Wyden will have a pen and pad briefing here in the Senate press gallery to discuss long-term unemployment issues.